SAOSWA was launched in July 2003 (formerly known as the Forum for Occupational Social Workers -FOSWA) to promote and protect the interest of
occupational social workers and their clients systems.
The objectives of the Association shall be:
- To set professional standards and guidelines for practising occupational social workers;
- To uphold and promote SAOSWA’s Code of Ethics for occupational social workers;
- To support and promote the development of SAOSWA’s members by means of acquiring and sharing the knowledge required to register as a specialist occupational social worker with the SACSSP;
- To network as an organisation and maintain on-going communication with other relevant bodies of civil society and government;
- To provide leadership in promoting the national and provincial growth and development of SAOSWA and its members in both private and public sector workplaces;
- To provide regular opportunities for occupational social work practitioners to network for purposes of support, advice and overall professional growth;
- To promote academic research in the occupational social work field;
- To market and promote awareness of the contribution of occupational social workers to all stakeholders;
To provide support and on-going education for members who are frequently confronted with ethical dilemmas in a variety of work environments.